Saturday, October 20, 2007

The first week, and the chore it has been...

Alright, I've finally gotten up to level 20 with my hectic gaming schedule, and I'm pretty excited and confident that I can reach level 25 this weekend. Hurray for my impending page-hood!

As far as things I've noticed, I did run into some 2x character asking me if I had 1k mesos. I thought he was begging for money like most people do, so I said I had some for him. He then opens up the trade window and starts placing ores in his offer, and then he said he was selling all of that for 1,000 mesos. It wasn't like two either, it was about 2-3 of about five different kinds of ores! As tempting as it was to pay him such a discounted price, I just couldn't because it just felt wrong. So I parted with 2k instead, because I wasn't sure what the ores amounted to either. I have no idea how he came to that amount, but I've got to impress that players should watch the economy of the game so that they don't get ripped off by underselling their wares or being abused by price gouging.

Another topic that's been worrying me is how the rate of kill-stealing has significantly increased. The reason for this, as I'm sure many of you (if you play the game) have encountered is due to the Halloween event quest. Monsters are now dropping candy at very random moments, so players are going out to kill as many as fast as they can just so they'd have more of a chance for the candy to drop. The candy is then redeemed at Kerning for either a pumpkin basket at a cost of 100 candies or a randomly selected piece of candy in exchange for 10 pieces of candy--which I find makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever (especially there is 25% probability of not getting any candy at all)... I've only seen about two or three characters carrying the pumpkin basket item, so I'm willing to guess the high levels are scoring loads of candy and buying the baskets to sell for oodles of mesos.

Which brings me back to the kill-thieves. They're usually very high level characters camping in low level hunting grounds so they rack up plenty of kills. This is extremely bad news for people below level 30, because all of the good training grounds are usually over crowded and much more frantic about killing for candies. It's been a bit frustrating for my training, because I've noticed it being ten times more difficult to level now than when my previous characters due to the fact that there weren't events like this going on during my low level stages. Hopefully Halloween passes soon and the next holiday doesn't doesn't spur such a free-for-all to hunt for certain rare items. On the plus side, there are plenty of opportunities for me to sell my candy for much appreciated mesos, so long I don't end up so curious as to save them up to attain the special items that will undoubtedly be sold for insane prices later in the Free Market.

I also find myself walking into shops where people are discussing semi-serious real life issues in the game. Upon stumbling in on these awkward moments, I attempt to sell my spoils as fast as I can and get out to limit any chance of eavesdropping. However, I do find amusement in hearing what people talk about in Maple, and what the social scene is like so I do find myself eavesdropping a lot in situations that don't feel invasive to people's actual lives (like relationship issues as an actual example). I wonder what any of the readers (should there be any at all...) think about this, and what you people talk abut in game--do you use it to meet up with friends on a scheduled basis, or do you find yourself talking and friending random Maplers?

Don't be afraid to drop a comment about anything from today's post, I'll be glad to hear your thoughts (and know someone reads this :P).

No comments: